Monday, March 23, 2009

Wardrobe Bulimic!

After reading thought provocing posts by Painfully Hip and Charade I quickly diagnosed myself as a true Wardrobe Bulimic as defined by Painfully Hip:


"Wardrobe Bulimic - You consistently have buying binges at thrift stores and discount clothing joints. You have perhaps 10 things in your closet you’ve owned for more than 5 years. Your style changes as often as your underpants. Your most inspired outfit is the one you just bought."

Even though I know it it's not rational, I do feel like I won't have anything to wear and will look so dated without those studded gladiator sandals, a jumpsuit, an oversized blazer or whatever it is I'm currently obsessing about. But when I have actually purchased my latest must have item I too often either

a) don't have the guts to wear it, fearing everyone will look at me funnily
example: oversized blazer with rolled up sleeves I HAD to have


(this one is by Topshop)



b) can't get it to work with anything in else in my wardrobe
example: studded belts - couldn't get the first one to work so bought another one. Where's the logic?!?


(This one is by Topshop)

c) I very seldom go out and the item's too flashy to wear day-to-day
example: studded Gucci knockoff Go Jane studded gladiator sandals - I can barely walk in such high stiletto heels!



d) or I am in a helping out in the warehouse phase at work thus wearing old duds so I won't ruin the new whatever it is on the first day.
example: white cotton tee I copied the Marc by Marc Jacobs Jeepers Peepers design on to with permanent marker (image of the original from Net-a-Porter).



It's not that I don't have anything to wear - it's more a lack of occasions. My lifestyle is not as glamorous as my wardrobe wishes for. And when I do go out I'm afraid I look like I'm trying to hard. I have so many ideas on what to wear, but to actually get it to work without looking fashion desperate? Very hard.

So it has dawned on my again that I need to get off the fashion rollercoster and concentrate on getting a wardrobe that works for my lifestyle while looking stylish at the same time. I need to figure out what flatters my shape and invest in quality items that are versatile and that I can get a lot of wear from. It's not the first time I've come to realize this but it's too easy getting swept away by all the ingenious outfits I want to have too seen in various fashion blogs.

This is not possible when I'm constantly on the border of being broke from my last binge at H&M's. I pay my bills but I see that my shopping habit is getting in the way of fulfilling my dreams. I currently have no financial buffer to fall back on. I am paying off the mortage on my apartment and I'm eating whatever I feel like without thinking of the cost. If I try to save up I last for about two weeks, resulting in a major binge at some cheap high street store, spending more than I actually managed to save up. And I eat out too often.

I need a strategy - I need a plan.

How can I feel stylish while being in better control of my economy? My dream is to travel around the world for 4 - 6 months but to do that I need to save up not only the cost of the journey, but also enough to pay for my mortage and student loan while being away. I'm starting a new job in May so this trip is at least 2-3 years down the line. I also need to have a buffer so I'm not completely broke when coming back.

In other words, I need to start saving up some serious funds without feeling like I'm starving my taste for the good life.

This is the background for starting the Recession Style blog. I wish to create a place you can go to find tips on how to spend less yet still feel like you're a part of the world. I'm hoping this blog will serve as an inspiration for myself to keep focus without losing my inspiration. And that we can help eachother.

Any tips or advice is highly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I´d never heard of the fashion bulimic concept before, but apparently I´m suffering from a bad case. Luckily, getting rid of things is my second favorite hobby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply to your comment. I love your blog, by the way! I love cleaning out my closet too. My new mantra is - does it do anything for me? If it isn't flattering - out it goes! At least most of it. Some things I just can't bear parting with. I must say my newest approach has worked wonders on my mentality. And my look! :)

    ReplyDelete